How much physical activity do I need?
- 30 minutes each day for overall health and to decrease risk for diseases like heart disease, cancer and diabetes
- 60 minutes each day for managing body weight and preventing weight gain
- 60 - 90 minutes each day for sustaining weight loss
How do I fit this much physical activity into my day?
Some people set aside time to work out at fitness centers, take classes or go on hikes or bike rides with friends and family. Others find ways to fit physical activity into their daily routines like:
- Walking or biking to the bus stop or all the way to work
- Walking at lunch time
- Holding walking meetings
- Walking or biking to run errands, go to the library, park, or visiting friends
- Walking the dog
- What works best for you?
Health Promotion: Ten Reasons For Physical Activity
- It’s one of the best things we can do for our health.
- It’s a stress-reducer.
- It burns calories!
- We’ll probably sleep better.
- It keeps our bones and joints in good shape if we don’t overdo it.
- We’re less likely to develop diabetes, heart disease or cancer.
- We’re less likely to gain unwanted weight.
- We may get sick less often.
- It can improve our mood and relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- What is your best reason?